Being a 7 minute walk to the beach in Orange County, it’s inevitable that I spend a lot of time there. So, I’ve started gathering a list of essential items that I keep together and ready to go! When going to the beach I always want to make sure that I have sun protection, stay hydrated and have some fun entertainment/activities. Of course, if my stuff is cute and stylish, that doesn’t hurt either. Today, I’m sharing my beach essentials with you and what I always keep on hand!
- Beach Bag: Since I’ve been living in California, I’ve acquired a decent collection of beach bags. I always think a straw-type tote is fun and functional, as is a classic LL.Bean canvas tote.
- Towel: I love turkish towels (currently on sale) and because I don’t typically go in the water, they work just fine for laying on in the sand. Generally though, any cute or fun towel will do!
- Umbrella: At age 30, I think I’m finally smartening up about the sun (**If anyone under 30 is reading this, please don’t take as long as I did). In order to get further protection from the sun – especially at peak hours – I’ve invested in an umbrella. And when I say invested, I mean got a super great deal on this totally cute umbrella on Amazon.com. Can you believe this one was only $30?!
- Sunblock: Yes this is obvious – but oh so important. I make sure I have 2 bottles on hand in case one runs out. Chances are, whoever you are with is also going to want to ask for some sunblock as well.
- Reading Materials: It ain’t a proper beach day without some good reads. I’ve mentioned before on this blog that I’m not the best reader and typically gravitate towards fun fashion and style magazines. I know, it’s terrible. I AM reading The Singles Game now though which I’m loving. If you are are sick of (or have read) all the magazines on the stand, I recommend you head to Barnes & Noble and pick up a British fashion & style magazine. They are more expensive, but it’s sort of a guilty pleasure of mine.
- Music: I always have music playing so it’s no surprise that I like to have it with me at the beach. I’ve had this Sunnylife radio for a few years now and love it. It’s always fun to make a summer playlist every year and jam to it on the beach.
- Hat: I mean – I think this is pretty obvious. It protects my face, keeps my hair from blowing everywhere and is super cute.
- Sunglasses: same- except protects my eyes and makes me feel mysterious.
- Coverup: Chances are if you are headed to the beach, you are wearing some sort of coverup over your suit. I always pack a long sleeve button down or some sort of shawl to put on if I feel like my skin is getting too much color.
- Water: There’s nothing like dehydration to ruin a perfectly good beach day. Of course feel free some other beverages but make sure you have just as much, if not more in water.
- Light snacks: There’s nothing like being starving to ruin a perfectly good beach day…
- Friends/ Family: I always enjoy the beach the most when I’m hanging out with friends and family. That may be sort of obvious/cheesy but… I guess I’m obvious…. and cheesy.
What are your beach essentials?